Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Bees sting Hereford man 250 times

Sandy Rathbun Reports

A Southern Arizona man survives being attacked by hundreds of bees. Thom Housley, 65, was attacked in his neighbor's yard Saturday in Hereford. Housley says, "I was beating them with my hat and they were mostly on my head and hands and then some down my back." Housley says doctors pulled 250 stingers out of him. Africanized bee stingers.

He says, "I was in dire trouble." Housley was driving his tractor and mowing his neighbor's yard when he thought he drove into a swarm of moths, then realized they were bees. Terrified, he jumped off the moving tractor. Since he was a boy he was told he was deathly allergic to bees.

Housley says, "I was thinking I was going to die, because pretty soon I'm not going to be able to breathe." Neighbor Tommy Cosby helped Housley into his home, then called paramedics. Cosby, who also got stung, says, "I knew he was hurt from the way he was hollering." After the attack, Reed Booth, who calls his business "The Killer Bee Guy," removed the bees.

macys.com

Booth says, "I am personally surprised that no one died." He says, "It was insane. It turned out that there were two large hives underneath this trailer." Booth says, "These two hives combined had over a quarter of a million bees in it. It only takes 500 stings to equal a rattlesnake bite." Booth figures the bees had been there a long time. Why did Housley's tractor set them off?

Booth says, "They hate whirring sounds, motors and engines." He says, "All of the bee hives in Arizona now are Africanized. They're all bombs waiting to go off." Housley says from now on doctors have told him to carry a vial of drugs with him everywhere he goes in case he gets stung again. He says, "You pull the top off and jab it into your leg." Housley believes his story has there's a lesson for all of us. He says, "just respect them bees."

Reference:KVOA

No comments: